Tuesday, September 11, 2007

A Rumination on Dawson's Creek

I am a true Buffy the Vampire Slayer or Felicity fan, but this week I have been filling out my need for reminiscent teenage melodrama with a Dawson’s Creek marathon. Thank goodness for Netflix!

Watching this shows reminds me a lot about being younger. I would never say that adolescence was easy (middle school was beyond a total nightmare), but it seems that when I was younger, it was completely acceptable to be emotional and even a little dramatic. No matter the extent of the drama, there was always an understanding, maybe even an epiphany, at the end of day (show) that helped me to grow and be a better person.

When did all of that change?  Is there a specific time in life – graduation, college, during the first job – that you begin to realize or are taught that a little drama, even when it leads to personal growth and enrichment, is a severe character flaw.

I am not supporting a complete juvenile regression, but it seems like we're a little too difficult on ourselves. My life has gotten more difficult and complex as I've gotten older, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to give myself a little more forgiveness. With more rules, more debt, and a 9-to-5 schedule, it feels like it should be understood and acceptable if I need to be a little more dramatic from time to time. But then again, maybe I have watched too much Dawson's Creek.

"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."
- Nelson Mandela

No comments: