Monday, June 22, 2009

Ze Balcony Garden - Week 2

I've made it a week and haven't lost any of my plants. My biggest concern is how I can water them without flooding out my neighbors below. So far, mostly successful. I also added a few more plants:
  • German Chamomile around the base of my sunflower (now sprouting)
  • Tomato Sprouts (from not eating my produce timely)
  • Loose Leaf Lettuce
Over the weekend, I noticed white flies on the catnip and something eating the leaves of my parsley. After a minor freak out, I did some research on fighting pests. I wanted to go organic, so I went with spraying a soapy mix on the plants. They plants look better and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Used the rosemary in my weekly soup (Rosemary Scented Lentils and Sausage) and made a caprese salad with the basil. Home grown, fresh herbs are the best way to go.

Here's a photo of the progress after 1 week:
After hearing stories of my neighbor's cat falling off the balcony, I refuse to let the cats out. I get a lot of impatient faces at the window:

No comments: