Sunday, April 29, 2012

My Nutrition Overload with Quinoa, Beets, Avocados, Lima Beans, and Edamame

I love to cook. Being in the kitchen, chopping, stirring, measuring, etc. is very meditative. I listen to music, forget all of my worries, and completely lose track of time. However, I hate trying to cook after work when I'm exhausted and feel like I need to rush, so I use the weekends to plan and cook my meals for the week.  It can be a pain, but I am always thankful that I've done it.

Lately, I have been eating out far too often. I find it very difficult to eat out and eat healthy foods (especially as a vegetarian, it seems my options are grilled cheese, cheese quesdillas, or an iceberg lettuce salad). I have been worried about my nutrition levels, so this week, I searched for recipes packed with fruits and vegetables that would up the nutrition in my diet.

I am no chef and wouldn't even begin to know how to come up my own recipes, so I'll just link to the original source.

Coconut Milk Breakfast Quinoa

I love quinoa, but I never thought of eating it for breakfast. It works. Plus, I'm already half in love with anything with any form of coconut. I went with the bananas and pecans recipe, but I feel like this could make a great base for some delicious breakfasts. I'm already dreaming of blueberries next week.







Quarter Pounder Beet Burger and Creamy Avocado Potato Salad

A few weeks ago, I tried beets at Sweet Tomatoes. I always assumed they would be bitter or sour due to their rich color, but they are not. They are sweet and earthy, which has made me fall madly in love with them. When I saw this recipe, I had to try it. I wasn't disappointed. Between the beets, brown rice, and lentils, these are both satisfying and delicious. 

I've never been a fan of potato salad because I hate mayonnaise. However, avocados are my favorite food on the planet. The avocado dressing was beyond sublime; I'm surprised I didn't cut my tongue off trying to lick all of the leftovers out of my food processor. And the pairing with the creamy potatoes and the cucumbers (I'm normally not a fan of cucumbers, but I got a great one at the farmer's market and it was amazing in this dish) was delicious. A little added cilantro was amazing. Made this for lunch, so we'll just have to see how well it keeps in the fridge this week. I don't care about eating a black lump of potatoes as long as it still tastes as amazing.



In the afternoons, I try to eat a snack with some protein to hold me until dinner. Dry roasting edamame is just genius. I tasted these as soon as they came out of the oven, and I could have eaten the entire batch. This might be my new favorite snack.







Shredded Beet, Goat Cheese, Kale, and Spinach Salad and Pureed Lima Beans 

I have a great farmer's market close to work in Tampa, so I try to eat a healthy salad for dinner each night. This is just a continuation of my current beet obsession. Plus, I really love goat cheese.

The pureed lima beans are supposed to go with a tomato broth, but I was too lazy to make it (some other time). However, the pureed beans alone were super tasty and garlicy. They have a smooth texture similar to mashed potatoes, and they are extremely filling.  

4 comments:

Andy said...

Very interesting looking recipes. Will definitely have to try the avocado potato salad.

Since you're into stuff like this you might like this site: http://franlife.blogspot.com/

I can highly recommend the beetroot salad, and the risotto which I made last night with shitake mushrooms. Mmm.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the suggestion. The recipes on that blog look amazing. I'm so excited to try them out. :)

Chris said...

I never thought of quinoa for breakfast either, but that recipe sounds wonderful! I have fresh peaches. I bet that would work, too. Hmm, and I wonder how it would taste with cucumber and macha? Wow, Thanks!

Unknown said...

Chris - The breakfast quinoa is yummy. After some practice, I found that making it with water was just as good and then just pour the milk over at the end. Less calories and fat with the same taste. I've done peaches and pecans before and it was super delish. Enjoy and let me know how the cucumber and macha turns out.

-Annie