Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Hometown Indie

Last week was great for new indie rentals. I watched both Juno and Lars and the Real Girl . Based on my last few rentals and my general distaste for public opinion, I went in with low expectations but an open-minded optimism. This may be my key to a happy life.

Juno was a fun, quirky movie with true heart and depth. Characterization is key to me, and by the end of this movie, I felt like I knew and cared for all the characters. It also had a ton of smarmy wise assed jokes, which is always a quick sell for me. Double score because the soundtrack was so awesome. Honestly, the soundtrack almost went against the movie because I kept wanting to turn it off and go listen to some tunes. All in all, I really enjoyed this and look forward to watching it again; I fear that I missed a lot of jokes. This is one of those movies that gets better the more you watch it.

Lars and the Real Girl again made me think about emotions and what loneliness could do to a person. At times it was a little preachy, but the story knew when to reign itself back in. I love that indies tend to be in quirky small towns and have more realistic characters. People are good and happy without botox and penhouse apartments in NYC. I want to believe in that kind of world because the opposite scares me. Ryan Gosling was as stunning as ever, but while watching some of the extras. I did wonder just how far his quirkiness might go.

I've officially fulfilled my quota for using the word quirky. I'm out with a quote that I should probably work harder to remember:
"He who trims himself to suit everyone will soon whittle himself away." - Raymond Hull

No comments: