Thursday, April 28, 2011

Songs for planning my escape... (Simon & Garfunkel, The Airborne Toxic Event, & Rik Mayall)

I'm New York bound again in a few weeks and my head has been full of possibilities and ideas. I love when the strategic details of a trip are in place and I can focus on the things to do once I'm there. It involves a lot of crazy daydreams, Google Maps, and endless lists of things I've seen in movies or heard mentioned in songs or books. Perfectly coinciding with my trip, I stumbled across Patti Smith's memoir called Just Kids, which has made it completely essential that I see the Chelsea Hotel.

Simon & Garfunkel - At The Zoo

It is common knowledge that I adore Paul Simon. He opens up my heart with every song, and I always aspire to have my own writing have the same effect on people. Because of this song, I am obsessed with visiting the Central Park Zoo. I will go and I will listen to this on my iPod at least 5 times. My favorite part of this song is that perfect moment where Simon is singing and you can literally hear him smile. That is pure magic.


The Airborne Toxic Event - Changing

A new Airborne Toxic Event album? In pure joy, it is fantastic. I've spent an enormous amount of time car dancing to this song this week. There is something about Mikel Jollett that I love. With the suits, thin ties, and his snarky sense of defiance, he hints at a bit of Rik Mayall in the Young Ones (I mean that as an awesome compliment cause I think Rik Mayall is about the most awesome person around).


And now, I'm off to watch The Young Ones. The favorite part of this clip is his dancing to The Human League. I about fall down every time I see it. So maybe there isn't much of a comparison, but this is some funny, funny stuff.

No comments: