Monday, July 9, 2012

"Ripple in still water..." (Grateful Dead - American Beauty)

I bought American Beauty a few weeks ago. Because I had heard it was so amazing, I wanted to wait for a special time where I could listen to it without interruptions. Then, during my vacation, I watched Magic Trip, which only made me more curious about the Dead. (Also, I learned about Acid Tests, Ken Kesey, the insanity of Neal Cassidy's ups, and that my longing for a time machine back to the 60's is still alive and strong.)

Saturday night, I finally made the time and mental space for American Beauty. I was up late, working on my family tree; my house was dark and quiet, so I turned it out and turned it up. It was emotionally beautiful and serenely melodic. I was instantly in love.

Specifically, I am in love with Ripple. There is something about this song that gets into my head, mellows me out, and reminds me to be Pooh (A Walking Meditation). I want to sway to the music, close my eyes, and smile. I wish that I could bottle the warm and peaceful feeling that it puts in my heart and share it with others. Suddenly, I feel like I'm really starting to understand the Dead Heads. 



I don't normally include full lyrics, but this one is far too beautiful to not share.

Ripple

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
Would you hear my voice come thru the music,
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken,
Perhaps they're better left unsung.
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain,
That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.

You who choose to lead must follow
But if you fall you fall alone,
If you should stand then whos to guide you?
If I knew the way I would take you home.

No comments: