Sunday, September 16, 2007

In between the stars we all find ourselves...


The title is taken from the Julius Airwave song Fur. I'm not entirely sure that I quoted it as it was meant to be read (heard, whatever), but isn't most music up to the listener's interpretation? Anyway, I happened across their album The City the Forest a couple of months ago, and I've listened to it at least once a week ever since. They're difficult to describe because I feel like their music can’t be pinpointed into a single category. It can cover a range of moods and emotions and sound and feel different on different days. The upbeat "Broken Bells" and "Appley" were what initially got me hooked, but lately I've been leaning more towards "Fur" and "Nannerl." Don't get me wrong, I love the whole album and am starting to get into their first album Dragon Are The New Pink.

A few weeks ago I was watching an episode of American Dreams and Ashley Williams performed "(There's) Always Something There to Remind Me" as Sandie Shaw. I have to be honest that I know little to nothing on both Williams and Shaw, but I was so confused to hear that song because I thought it was a Naked Eyes original. Usually when a song is that popular, you hear a lot about how it's a cover. What was even more interesting is that the song was written by Burt Bacharach - that guy is a song writing genius. When I started reviewing his bio on Wikipedia, I was astounded to see the following: "As of 2006, Bacharach had written a total of 70 Top 40 hits in the U.S., and 52 Top 40 hits in the UK." You can even check out Burt's Blog. Talk about a guy staying super cool.

I have been in the weirdest music listening mood lately. Today has consisted of listening to Morrissey, the Felicity soundtrack, Simon and Garfunkel, and Depeche Mode. All true loves in terms of music.

It's been a good day. It has been one of those perfect, quiet, and lazy Sundays. I woke up late, watched tv, cooked for the week, did laundry, and generally enjoyed the day. It may be dorky, but I love days like this filled with quiet moments and being able moving at a slow, calm pace. I guess this is exactly what I need to deal with tomorrow being Monday and everything.


"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life."
- Berthold Auerbach

No comments: