Sunday, September 23, 2007

Well, there's a feeling in the air...

I love fall and all of the things that come with it: Halloween, Thanksgiving, theater season, colder weather, fall fashion, boots, bonfires, hayrides, big comfy sweaters, apple cider, anything with cinnamon, and everything pumpkin.

I am such a traditional Midwesterner, so sometimes (all the time, this time of the year), it is very difficult living in Florida. Not only do we miss out on a lot of those things that I love, but it is hurricane season here and about a million degrees.

One of the things that I still get is theater season. This past weekend, I bought my tickets for the next six months and am so excited about the shows that I'm going to see: Sinbad, a Mexican folk ballet, Gypsy, Puccini's Madama Butterfly, The Producers, Movin' Out, and Spamalot. I always try to select a variety of show types and pick some type that I've never been to before.

Last year, I saw my first opera (La bohème), Chicago, and George Carlin, but my absolute favorite was seeing Molly Ringwald in Sweet Charity. They were all fantastic, but that last one is probably due in part to the fact that I grew up watching Pretty In Pink, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles.

The other good thing about this time of year is that I get the urge to bake again. By request, I made oatmeal raisin cookies today, but in the upcoming weeks, I'm hoping to try some new recipes. Cooking Light always has the best recipes this time of the year.

"Bittersweet October. The mellow, messy, leaf-kicking, perfect pause between the opposing miseries of summer and winter."
- Carol Bishop Hipps

No comments: