Saturday, November 24, 2007

"Without music life would be a mistake..."

I've wanted to see the August Rush for a while and finally saw it today. From the previews, I thought that I would enjoy it, but enjoy is an understatement. It was a fantastic, moving film. The story is somewhat predictable and some of the pieces of the plot may be a little far-fetched, but the story is well developed, interesting, and beautiful. I think that you can go in knowing that he will be reunited with his parents, but the joys that you get from following the journey, learning about the characters, and experiencing the music through the eyes and ears of August takes the movie above others. This film achieves what so many strive for and fail to do; it gives you a look into the story and lives of the characters, makes you care about them, and allows you to experience their lives.

The movie is perfectly cast and is extremely visually appealing. It felt like each character was in their place in a world that matched their story, which made the movie feel as seamless and flowing like August's music. I didn't want it to end because while it showed both the good and bad of society, the story was uplifting and made you see the benefits of holding on tightly to what you believe in.

I also appreciated that Terrence Howard was cast as a good guy. I like him, but he tends to always be put in these smart mouthed smug roles,. I also did not mind my Felicity flashbacks with Keri Russell and the two VERY attractive Irish men (ok, so one's officially Australian, but whatever!). I strongly suggest that anyone that likes emotional character and plot driven stories see this movie.

And now for my slightly related quote:

"If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace. "
- John Lennon

No comments: