Friday, June 11, 2010

A Walking Antique

Sometime in the last few years, I joined a last.fm group where you are matched up with other users and you create mix tapes for each other based on a theme. It was really fun until you got matched up with someone who didn’t fulfill their end of the bargain.

Anyway, a few days ago I happened across a mix that I made that was supposed to represent my life. For each year of my life, I picked a song that I felt best represented that time in my memory. For my early years, I picked Bob Dylan’s She Belongs to Me.

I wish that the song had been written about it. It feels so naïve yet beautiful and simple. I think of my childhood as a simple time full of possibilities. I felt like I could do anything and owned my stage. At 30, I’m just now realizing that my four year old self had the world right. I wasn’t afraid to sing and dance like I meant it, and I was always painting and drawing without worrying if it was any good.

It’s apparently very difficult to find a copy of this song available for listening online, so this is the best that I can do:http://s0.ilike.com/play#Bob+Dylan:She+Belongs+To+Me:130575:m599241


"She's an artist, she don't look back
She can take the dark out of the nighttime and turn the daytime black..."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sweet.