Monday, June 14, 2010

The Lost Boys

What I really loved about the early 90’s was that the coolest rock stars looked like a cross between Jim Morrison and Jason Patric’s character in The Lost Boys (oh oh and Solarbabies!). My picks this week are in homage to my favorite bad boy, long haired rock stars from the early 90’s: David Gahan and Michael Hutchence.
Depeche Mode - A Pain That I’m Used To

This weekend, I randomly popped in a CD (my car is old and I don’t have an iPod hookup!). It was this great Depeche Mode mix that I had created before the concert last year. While a lot of kids fondly look back to their days of Sesame Street, the soundtrack of my childhood was 80’s new wave bands (Depeche Mode, The Cure, U2, Violent Femmes, etc.) and all those sweet videos on MTV. This isn’t one of those old songs, but I love it just the same. I’ll be damned if David Gahan hasn’t just gotten sexier over the years.


“I'm not sure what I'm looking for anymore
I just know that I'm harder to console
I don't see who I'm trying to be instead of me
But the key is a question of control”

INXS – Mediate

Over Memorial Day weekend, I turned on Vh1 while they were running all of their 80’s videos. I saw about 3 INXS videos within an hour, which completely got me hooked. I’ve listened to Kick more times than I care to count, and I’ve always found the Mediate video interesting. I love the play on words, the broken down railroad yard, and Hutchence’s ripped up jeans. Just try not to sing along.


“Don't suffocate on your own hate…”

No comments: