Thursday, November 11, 2010

Songs that I like to pretend were written for me...

In the last seven days I've been through just about every emotion known to man. Most days I feel like I'm nothing more than what I feel. What is most comforting is that I can always find a song to fit my emotional state. These songs are all ones that I've wished at some point or another were written about me. Selfish, I know, but it's more that, as anyone would, I love when I'm in a situation where these kinds of feelings are involved.
Blind Pilot - Oviedo


I know that I've already written about this song, but this is my game and I reserve the right to break the rules that don't suit my current needs. Anyway, I think that this might be the most beautiful, poetic song. It always leaves me with this feeling in my stomach that borders between the excitement of falling in love and the sickening sadness of falling out. If my writing was ever judged, I would want it based on if I could create that kind of feeling in someone else.

I didn't know the weight of my tongue. I didn't know, I didn't know what I had done...


(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDP8vsDsPM0)


Michael Trent - Anybody's Boy

I'm a fan of both The Films and Michael Trent's solo work. The songs are always kind of gritty and defensive with a twist where emotions and vulnerability shine through. They feel real and I think that always makes it way more powerful. Anybody's Boy is just sweet and emotional. Everything about it just feels like that moment when you get so close to someone and you realize that your guard is down and you're waving the white flag of vulnerability. Beautiful.


I stare at your lips while we lie on the floor and I'd stay there all afternoon...

Sadly, I can't find a version anyway, but you can hear a snippet on Amazon. That whole album is great and worth the purchase.


Magnetic Fields - Asleep and Dreaming

There are so many amazing Magnetic Fields songs that I could post one every week for a year and still feel like I'm missing too many. There is an attention to detail and emotion that make these songs beyond amazing. Plus, he always adds some sort of snarky joke or pun that makes it even more fun.


I don't know if you're beautiful because I love you too much...


(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJsK2mSUwnM)

No comments: