Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Nobody Puts Baby in the Corner...

Ugh. It has been such a shit week. I'm ok with those occasionally because they serve to remind me just how good good really is. They give me an excuse to indulge in all of the dorky things that make me feel good again: Buffy the Vampire Slayer (Xander Harris, I heart you since I was 16), Gilmore Girls (I can watch the Luke Can See Her Face episode over and over and over again and still swoon every time), and Dirty Dancing. Dirty Dancing has been my bad week killer since I was 8. I can recite it line-by-line and still dance along to all of the awesome dance montages. However, what I love most about that movie is the music.
Solomon Burke - Cry To Me

This has got to be the sexiest song that I have ever heard, and I absolutely love this whole sequence in the movie. After hearing Burke on this soundtrack, I started listening to a lot of his other stuff. He has such an amazing voice, it surprises me that he didn't have more commercial success. Oh well, maybe all that commercial success is overrated.
Come on take my hand, and baby won't you walk with me...


(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEu8DrO9PbY)


The Blow Monkeys - You Don't Own Me


This is such a great cover and just so unexpected on the soundtrack. It combines three of my favorite things in the music world: an interesting cover, Brit Pop New Wave 80's synth, and 1960's mellow dramatic ballads.


(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7QLghxmzhU)

As a side note, my barometer for the perfect man is the guy who will reenact the Mickey and Sylvia scene with me. Thanks for setting the standard so high Mr. Swayze!

No comments: