Monday, February 27, 2012

Sixteen Candles, Part Deux

Tomorrow, I will be 32. I like to think of it as 16x2. Probably, I should feel grown up and responsible, which I do when I have to pay bills or make huge life decisions, but mostly, I still feel about 16. I still love loud, fun music to distract me. I fall in love at every concert. I daydream through bad days. I make faces at mean people behind their backs, and I have a love of candy that will never die.

I don't remember the details of my 16th birthday... or most of my birthdays for the matter. It might have been the year where I was obsessed with the Wedding Singer and saw it like five times at the theater. I'm sure that everyone was tired of me laughing at the microphone line, but everyone was too nice to complain or I was too amused to care. The movie still kills me.



What I do remember as a whole for all of my birthdays is that my family and friends have always made my  day feel so special and wonderful for me. It is about being remembered and acknowledged. So, even if I'm starting to feel a bit old, I don't ever want to be one of those people who shun birthdays. I like celebrating. I love cake. Balloons are fun. Beers are good. And I might dig a bit of the attention a bit too.

In honor of my birthday, I'm watching Sixteen Candles. Ahh, the magic of Jake Ryan... the most perfect birthday present any girl could ever ask for. John Hughes so got us.

Anyway, if you're looking for a birthday present for me, I'd really enjoy taking Molly Ringwald's place  in the following clip (apparently, you can only find the it in Spanish on YouTube, but you get it!). Oh, swoon.

No comments: