Monday, February 22, 2010

Reality Permeates

Picking just one Brandi Carlile song was near impossible for me. I have been meaning to write a post about her for awhile, and the task feels daunting. I saw her perform last Thursday at the Capitol Theater and felt like it was finally time to post something. I’ve selected the song Dreams from her (their, really it's her and the band that makes the music so wonderful) latest album Give Up The Ghost because seeing it live has made me love it about ten times more. There’s about a minute and a half of introduction, so just scan forward if you just want to hear the song.


"I can't have you, but I have dreams..."

I love the beauty and emotions in the sound and lyrics to the music. The first time I saw her live, she opened for Chris Isaak (bought my first CD from the twins after the show!). It was an incredibly tumultuous time period for me, and I loved to escape into the beauty and calm of their music. It will always be extremely special to me because it was the soundtrack of that time period, which helped me learn a lot about myself and the world. Getting to see them again was a true treat and a great way to celebrate my 30th birthday. Every time I see them, I get a little bit of a crush on the Hanseroth twins. I still think The Story is one of the sweetest, most romantic songs ever written. Anyway, here’s Turpentine.


“Just when we believe we could be great, reality it permeates, and conquers from within again…”

No comments: