Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How I Took Myself on Vacation.

I was really nervous about taking myself on vacation alone, but it made me more confident and trust that I can take care of myself.
How I did it: There wasn't any one thing that I did to make this happen, but I'm always wishing that I could travel and visit different places. I've always been scared to travel alone and have never been very good at asking other people to go do things. When I visited New York a few months back, I fell in love with the city. I wanted to be able to hang out there for a weekend doing whatever I wanted.
To feel safer, I did a lot of research about all the places I wanted to visit. I tried to make smart choices when travelling around the city (no subway at night, I'm way too Midwestern and I'd never be able to hide it!).

Lessons & tips: Just go for it. My brain was filled with reasons why I shouldn’t go and insecurities, but when you really want to do something, you deal with all of that.

Also, New York was a great choice. It was a city where it wasn't so obvious that I was travelling alone. I felt less self-conscious. I'm sure that if I went to some touristy place where everyone was in big groups, I would have felt weird. However, there's nothing quite like being able to do your vacation your own way.
Resources: For this one, I have to say that I just had to be brave and jump in. My family and friends were incredibly supportive and were there for me. The whole situation helped me to build confidence in myself.

See more progress on: Take myself on a fun vacation.

No comments: