Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Songs to listen to on my island... (Van Morrison, Regina Spektor, & Amos Lee)

I hate to admit it, but sometimes I'm a total emotional wimp. I like to sulk off to the island of Annie and just bask in all my feelings and shut everyone out. I lived there for a few years of my life. Lately, things have been different and I have been different. I'm remembering how good it feels to actually open up and be vulnerable to someone else. You know that feeling where you actually just relax and get to be yourself and then are surprised to find that person does the same, and you actually like each other. Wacky concept, I know. The hard part is that when you care, that person has a power over you and even when unintentionally (especially unintentionally), they can hurt you like no one else in the world. That solitary little island is looking pretty cozy right about now.

Van Morrison - You Don't Know Me

Hands down, Van Morrison songs have got to be the sexiest songs ever written. The man's voice is like emotional ecstasy. And ohohohhh, how I love this song. It is so sad and pleading. That state of desperation where you just adore someone and can't say the words to them and then it's too late.


And anyone can tell, you think you know me well, but you don't know me...



Regina Spektor - Fidelity

Apparently, I am living in a time when women (or at least the kick ass girl songwriters) are all about protecting their emotions and scoffing at romance... until it knocks them over and makes them pay attention.


I never loved nobody fully. Always one foot on the ground. And by protecting my heart truly, I got lost in the sounds... I hear in my mind all this music and it breaks my heart...


(The video is so awesome, but you can't embed, so watch it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wigqKfLWjvM&ob=av2el)

Amos Lee - El Camino

The best part of my day was the release of Mission Bell. I was absolutely floored to see that I haven't ever posted any Amos Lee songs on the blog. I would say that he's awesome, but it would be an understatement. When I hear him singing, the soul and emotion in his voice catch in my heart and I always have to close my eyes and catch my breath.


I believe in all I've loved and all I have seen...

No comments: