Friday, September 16, 2011

Songs that have been giving me vinyl fever… (The Smiths, The Cure, & The Vapors)

A few weeks ago (the day the car frenzy began), I went to a small, local record shop. When I was in high school, I lived for digging through crates of vinyl and had a pretty interesting collection. Somewhere around college, I gave most of it away. I didn’t think that I wouldn’t ever be interested in it again. Grrrr, me. Seeing the price of some of those albums now about kills me.

My trip has completely rekindled my passion. It has quickly turned into a feverish crazy, which has also caused me to become obsessed with eBay. I am particularly obsessed with finding Smiths albums, but I’m pretty sure that I’ll have better luck convincing Marr and Moz to get back together and record some new songs.

The Smiths – A Rush and a Push and the Land Is Ours

My first Smiths album was Strangeaways, Here We Come. I bought a cassette copy of it from the previously mentioned record store. It was only fitting that my first Smiths vinyl would be the same. I could come up with some pretentious, long-winded reason why I love this song so much, but really it’s all about the growl. My love is simple like that.

On my first website, I wrote an ode to Morrissey and The Smiths with particular emphasis on this song. It actually got me my first weirdo, internet stalker email proposal.



The Cure – Let’s Go To Bed

It would be redundant to express my emotions for The Cure again. This song has some significantly bad memories attached to it (think 14, Freshman year of high school, an immature boy, and a super emotional girl that worships The Cure), but I still think it’s completely hardcore awesome. Robert Smith… also still completely swoon worthy.



The Vapors – Spring Collection

So, we all have things in our life, small indiscretions that we’re not so proud of… mine was, *ahem* borrowing a few records from my brother’s DJ collection. We have polar opposite music tastes, so I’m not sure how he ended up with The Vapors ( a great, underappreciated new Wave band), but I’m glad that it ended up with me.

I would play this album constantly. I was obsessed with their accents and the idea of that cool British world where they lived. I particularly loved this song because he talks about blue hair and in my pinnacle of coolness, I had just dyed my hair blue. Probably not the most positive song to associate with myself, but whatever.


No comments: