Thursday, September 8, 2011

Songs that are on my permanent record... (Violent Femmes, The Smiths, R.E.M)

The last few weeks have been a little insane with the holidays, a miserable stomach bug, and some car trouble. After the car issues, I decided to buy a new car (an earth friendly Prius to fill out my hippie persona) and I ended up with a free trial of Sirius satellite radio. I never thought that I would want to pay for radio, but the 90-day free trial has definitely woo’d me harder that I would like to admit. My favorite channels are Lithium and 1st Wave. I’m not sure that I could make better playlists. Today’s selections are based on the time spent listening to 1st Wave.

Violent Femmes – Kiss Off

It is impossible for me to listen to this song and not dance and sing to all of the awesome parts, which basically constitute the entire song. I don’t know if it’s because it’s something that I grew up loving or if it’s just really that awesome of a song, but I love the humor and drama. Good times, good times.



The Smiths – Panic

Speaking of drama, Panic makes me want to dance and sing with complete conviction about the demise of radio today. I realize that the song was written more than 20 years ago, but in general, the quality of popular music has continued to decline. There are certain little pockets of alternative awesomeness, but mostly it is dismal. Mozzer falls in the category of awesomeness.



R.E.M. – Driver 8

Early R.E.M. (especially the Velvet Underground covers) blows my mind. I love all R.E.M., but the early stuff is especially gritty and fun to rock out to. It feels young and experimental. No one else sounds like R.E.M. They are so distinct and interesting.


No comments: