Thursday, September 22, 2011

Songs from an R.E.M. day...

With the sad news that R.E.M. officially broke up this week, I thought that I would pick out a few of my favorites as a thank you for 31 years (my lifetime so far) of completely awesome music. Picking favorites is a difficult task because there is such an amazing list of tracks to pick from. This list is a random picking of what has resonated with me a lot today, but tomorrow’s list could be dramatically different.

Oh My Heart
I’m not sure exactly what it is, but I’m always so emotional after hearing this song. It strikes me with a kind of beauty that makes me want to put it on repeat and listen for hours. This is a pretty cool video with the lyrics too.


Leave

This is one of those songs where I can turn up the volume and just get loud and mad to let all of my aggression out. New Adventures in Hi-Fi is one of my favorite R.E.M. albums. The album art alone kills me.


Strange Currencies

I was never a huge fan of Monster (there are some great songs), but this track in particular has always been special to me. It is fun.



Pale Blue Eyes

I have always loved this song. R.E.M. introduced me to the wonderfulness of The Velvet Underground through it. Peter Buck’s liner notes claim they butchered it, but it always sounds just right to me.


No comments: