Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Because of This Guy…

I hate to state the title that way, but it is the truth. I get all goggley about some guy, my heart goes a flutter, and every song sounds amazing to me. Giving into feelings starts to make everything else seem a little better. So these were a few songs that struck me and made me smile in their truths.

I saw Ingrid Michaelson live a few months ago and was impressed with how talented she is and the poetry in her lyrics. Her stuff always strikes me with both a strong feminine independence and a vulnerability.

“I never thought that I could love anyone but myself
Now I know I can’t love anyone but you
But you make me think that maybe I won’t die alone
Maybe I won’t die alone”
Michael Trent is like the complete opposite. He’s jarringly honest, yet guarded. How does that even happen and why do his songs always remind me of the guys that I fall for? I had a hard time finding a version of this, but believe me the whole album is worth checking out.
 
Anybody's Boy (on Last.fm)
“If I could be anybody’s boy I think it would be you
I’ll stare at your lips while we lie on the floor
And I’d stay there all afternoon.”
I’m not even sure how to explain Ra Ra Riot, but I love them. This song is so perfect at capturing that restless feeling that overcomes you when you’re really digging on someone and just don’t know what to do about it. Love and attraction is complicated by all those crazy emotions and pride. At least we have great songs so we don’t feel alone in those feelings.


“Oh baby baby baby babe,
How long am I supposed to wait?
I think about you nightly
Oh, can you tell I'm losin' sleep?

Oh what am I supposed to do?
It's hard to stay cool.
Oh, when you smile at me
and I can notice every time you speak.

My bed's too big for just me
and when you turn your eyes,
I promise I won't care.”

No comments: