Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Razorblades and Fairytales

The Strokes are great because they are just so rock’n’roll and not some smarmy cross-over, transition emo-rap-christian-punk-mindless-we-want-every-type-of-possible-fans kind of band. And basically, Julian Casablahblahwhatever is always singing about some pretty messed up stuff, which is exactly what I expect from my rock stars. So basically like everything in life, I dig the drama and any chance to rock out.


“Oh no, my feelings are more important than yours
Oh, drop dead, I don’t care, I won’t worry”

Speaking of rock stars that sing fairly messed up, snarky songs, I am back on my Stephin Merritt (as The Magnetic Fields here) kick. Long Forgotten Fairytale is one of my favorite songs because the lyrics are so perfectly genius. I love that all of his songs are always so emotional yet so in denial of emotions. That kind of emotional dysfunction really takes some work.



“If somebody told me I’d succumb
If someone said I’d be so dumb
After all the sleepless nights, when I turned on all the lights
I would have hit them”

No comments: