Monday, July 19, 2010

43 Things

A few months ago, I happened across a site called 43 Things, which allows you to list your goals, report if you’ve achieved them, and connect with other people who have similar goals. I had just gotten back from New York, so I was able to add and immediately say that I accomplished something that I always wanted to do. I forgot about the site and my account has been stuck at one completed goal since that time.

I am in this constant existential cycle where I miss school and learning and search out experiences that will help me grow and find more value in my life. I find that when I push out of my comfort zone and challenge myself to try new and different things, I am always the happiest. A few days ago, in the middle of my morning journaling (morning mind clearing complain fest is more like it), I started thinking about things that I would like to do. I thought about the site and wondered what would happen if I set 43 goals for myself for the next year and used the site and my blog to write about them.

I let the thought fester for a few days, and it just keeps sounding better. Right now, I only have 6 items on my list, but I’m going to work at filling them in. I feel like if I pick all 43 upfront,I might pick things that six months from now will end up being too easy. This weekend, I will be completing two of the items and I’m excited to see how it goes.

I like the idea of being responsible to myself. I’m interested in seeing what happens to me in the process of all of this. I plan on having some really silly goals, but I’m also going to mix in things that I have really been putting off and see what happens.

If you want to check out the list so far, it’s available here: http://www.43things.com/person/awdylanis



No comments: