Tuesday, July 20, 2010

With a Little Help from His Friends

Last week, I saw Ringo Starr and His All Starr Band at Ruth Eckerd Hall. This is his 11th tour and it was the third time that I’ve gotten to see him. This tour included Edgar Winter, Gary Wright, Richard Page (Mr Mister), Wally Palmar (The Romantics), Rick Derringer, and Gregg Bissonette.

As always, it was a great show. I respect artists that don’t get upset when they’re asked to play the songs that have made them famous. I understand that the 4,000th time that you sing Yellow Submarine might not have the same impact, but for the people in the audience it is special. Ringo always leads a fun, funny, energetic show. This was my third time seeing Ringo live and every time I’ve spent the first 30 minutes in complete awe of the fact that Ringo Starr is really performing just a few feet in front of me. From back in my younger days of watch Help! and A Hard Day’s Night (both Ringo centered movies), I was always fascinated with the charisma and happiness of Ringo Starr and seeing him live is just the same kind of feeling. He watches the audience and interacts with a lot of snarky comments. He has a good time, which in turn makes the experience even more fun. I kept waiting for someone to shout “You’re all red again... Kaili!

The show is always an interesting round robin of all the featured artists and their most famous songs. It keeps the experience interesting. and you get to spend the majority of the night hearing the “special” songs. Watching the ensemble interact and perform each other’s songs is so much fun.

Edgar Winter is crazy talented and has a stage energy that is hard to surpass. Gary Wright talked about going to meditation camp with George Harrison, and then belted out an amazing version of Dreamweaver. Richard Page has a truly amazing voice. It was special to see him because Broken Wings was my first favorite song. Wally Palmar just rocks out on the Romantics tunes. Rick Derringer is one heck of a guitar player, and being from Ohio, it was awesome to hear the full version of Hang on Sloopy live. Gregg Bissonette is impressive and so happy and energetic on those drums that I just loved to watch him drum (even with Ringo drumming right next to him!).

The only bad part of the night was when it was over. Peace and love.

No comments: