Monday, May 23, 2011

Thoughts on Amos Lee (Part Deux)

The first time I saw Amos Lee live was also the first time that I heard him sing. I was instantly floored, amazed, and completely enamored (here's my proof).  To say that I had high expectations going into Friday night’s show would be an understatement. Again, I found myself floored, amazed, and completely enamored.  What I think that gets me the most is that he comes across as very shy, reserved, and maybe even a little bit stoic, but then he sings and the entire room is just completely flooded with this crazy, emotional surge.  The honest, sincerity of it all just gives me chills. Suffice it to say that I was a happy ticket holder.

I have mentioned on multiple occasions that I would pick some of my famous Amos songs, so I am finally going to follow through on that promise.

El Camino

I always love that his songs are about real life and real people. They never feel falsely dramatic or steeped in some kind of movie-haze that corrupts and run counter to a real human experience. This song is a perfect example. All my ships have sailed away…



Seen It All Before

I’m not sure that any song brings out my car singing diva-ness more than this one. I get all soulful with attitude. It’s a funny sight, but this is a flippin’ amazing song. And lordy, what girl wouldn’t want to be all baby baby baby’d by him. I’ve seen everything your twisted smile conveys. I ain’t gonna be your fool baby…

\

Supply and Demand

I also really love that all of his songs are full of meaning, soul, emotions, and spirit. They make you want to cut loose and groove to them. The more I strive, the less I’m alive…

No comments: