Saturday, May 14, 2011

Songs from a long week... (Elefant, The Airborne Toxic Event)

Sadly, it's been a really long week for me and I haven't had as much time as usual for music. I only have have two selections, but they are pretty fantastic. I am keeping up with my guitar lessons and am currently working on Sunshine of Your Love and Green River. Everyone needs a little CCR in their repertoire. I do keep hoping for a Stones song. It’s not that I want to be like Keith Richards, but those boys know how to boogie.

Elefant - My Apology

In one of my more vain moments, I found Elefant while searching iTunes for songs that featured my name in the title (Annie is a pretty fantastic song actually). I loved them instantly because they had such a haunting sound that reminded me of some of my favorite artists - The Cure, The Smiths, and Joy Division. After I found their cover of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want, I was hooked. I guess that all of their songs tend to hit me in the same haunting, emotional exhaustive way. The lyrics here are especially beautiful and insightful. Just look into my eyes, you're killing me with you love...just set me free from your touch. 




The Airborne Toxic Event - The Book of Love

This was a match made in heaven for me because I adore covers, The Magnetic Fields, The Airborne Toxic Event, and songs with snarky, yet insightfully beautiful lyrics. Stephin Merritt writes some of the most amazing and beautiful songs that I've heard, but when he sings there is also an edge and a bit of distance like the feelings are a bit distasteful. I love that sometimes. In contrast, when Mikel Jollett sings it, he feels vulnerable and emotionally exposed. Plus, the entire sound of ATE is so rich and full, it makes the song even more emotional. It makes me feel exactly like I feel when I'm falling in love. The two versions of the song feel completely different to me and that just blows my mind. But I love it when you read to me and you can read me anything...

No comments: