Monday, May 23, 2011

My 2011 Reading List - Round 2

11. The Graveyard Book – Neil Gaiman

I grew up with a Sandman poster on my wall. Morpheus reminded me of a hotter (less makeup) version of Robert Smith. While I loved the art work, I had never read any of the Sandman series. I’ve never read any comics. So, while looking for my next read, I came across The Graveyard Book and was immediately drawn into the story. Without giving too much away, it’s about an orphaned boy who wanders into a graveyard where all ghosts (and other creatures) adopt and raise him. I’m always amazed when a writer can make up an entirely new world and make it feel real.





12. Where The Sidewalk Ends – Shel Silverstein

In elementary school, we all fought to check out the Shel Silverstein books. He made going to the library fun and exciting. This has been one of my favorite books for such a long time, yet I hadn’t sat down and read the whole thing through in a very long time. I found that some of the poems just seemed silly to me now.When I got to my favorites, I felt sucked right back into as that excited seven year old who could never get enough of the Homework Machine (from Light in the Attic) and band aids.






13. How To Avoid Making Art – Julia Cameron

This is a book of goofy cartoons that depict all of the ways that we avoid making our art. It made me laugh and a few too many sections hit home a little too hard, but that’s exactly what I love about Julia Cameron’s writing/books/philosophies/etc. I’m a big fan of The Artist Way (avid morning pager and currently working my way through Walking In This World). This book was a helpful, fun reminder that it’s not good to make excuses to avoid being artistic.

No comments: