Thursday, November 10, 2011

Songs for a week without tv... (Dead Man's Bones, Simon & Garfunkel, Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy, & Pearl Jam)

This week sucked. It really could have given me a break and taken a giant step back into chill-land, but we all know that rarely happens. To spare you the details, just draw a big photo of Eeyore and slap my name on it. Damn that tail, where did it get to again? As always, music saves me.
Dead Man’s Bones – Lose Your Soul

I love Dead Man’s Bones because all of their songs have such a haunting and supernatural quality to them. Granted, the multiple mentions of zombies, werewolves, and graves probably helps with the general feeling. On the plus side, I don’t think that I’ll ever complain about a little Ryan Gosling serenading. I won’t deny that his being in the band made me buy the album, but it is the fact that it’s pretty awesome that what keeps me listening.


Simon and Garfunkel – The Boxer

I am trying to abstain from television for a week, so I’ve spent a lot of time listening to records and drawing (the exact reason why I should avoid TV). I recently completed my Simon and Garfunkel record collection, so I’ve enjoyed getting lost in the albums again. I have everything digitally, but they are just better on vinyl. Paul Simon is my writing hero. His word choice astounds me In a few simple lines, he can break my heart.

I have squandered my resistance for a pocketful of mumbles, such are promises...


The Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy – Television, The Drug of a Nation

And because I’m feeling all up in arms about how television is sucking my life away from me, I thought that I would share this…



Pearl Jam – Yellow Ledbetter

I know, I know… and yes, Pearl Jam again. I finally had a chance to watch Pearl Jam 20. I found their emotional vulnerability (especially Vedder, the scene where he tears up talking about his friendship with Jeff Ament was perfection) extremely inspiring. I think I’d be a lot better off if I was better at dealing with my emotions in a productive way. Oh, and Mike McCready is seriously badass on the guitar.


No comments: