Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Songs to even out my scrobbles... (Airborne Toxic Event, Justin Townes Earle, Candlebox)

I had to force myself to listen to something other than Pearl Jam this week. I’m pretty sure that no one wanted to read another post where I get all nostalgic about being 14 and then get all moony over the front man and his weird emotional quirks. Plus, this week, I’m into bassist, so here’s to you Jeff Ament and your 20 years of funny hats.

The Airborne Toxic Event – Welcome to Your Wedding Day

I have been meaning to post this song for a few weeks. I wanted to pair it with other songs that made me want to dance. Plus, I’ve been trying to figure out what the song is about. I hear a deep social commentary about our government and war. I hoped that a few more listens would make it more clear. Mostly, this song makes me want to dance (and yell and kick stuff) and then day dream about Mikel Jollett (he's got a sexy mouth like that guy on Burn Notice). That in itself is reason enough to post.



Justin Townes Earle – Learning To Cry

Ahh, Justin Townes Earl. From what I can tell, the dude has a pretty crazy life story, but he creates some seriously awesome music. I would try to classify it, but each album has a bit of a different sound. This song in particular strikes me as really old style country. Every time it shuffles in, I find it impossible to say no. It gets stuck in my head and heart. It is so super smooth.

This is a live version, but I seriously suggest that you listen to the album version.



Candlebox – Far Behind

Last night, I came across a 90s music folder on my external hard drive. It was filled with one-off gems from the 90’s that I forgot that I had. It was also filled with songs that I can't believe that I ever purchased or wanted to keep (aka Hey Leonardo). It was a fun time capsule. It contained this song.

A few weeks ago, I read that this is one of many songs written for Andrew Wood (see also: Alice in Chains’s Would? and the Temple of Dog album). I always thought this was a love song. I’m not sure why, but I’m guessing that I never spent a lot of time actually listening to the lyrics. I listen to it differently now.

This is such a strange video, but I really wish that someone would make wearing skirts with Doc Martens and flannels and thermals come back in style (especially for appropriate work wear). Please?



No comments: